Our goal is to provide faculty an easy way to create and maintain a simple website using a web-based Content Management System (CMS). We have chosen WordPress as it has an easy-to-use interface and is scalable to accommodate many websites on campus.
- Easy-to-use interface
- Web-based editing, no desktop software needed
- Multi-user environment with role-based access which allows others to help manage the content on your website. (All users must have UCInetIDs.)
- Built-in version control
- Built-in Search
- RSS Feeds
- Embed images and video for a multi-media experience
- Communication with your readers through built-in comments feature
- Professionally designed themes to easily change the “look and feel”
- Drag-and-drop menu management
- Built-in templates for common pages – just edit the existing pages and create new ones
- Website is hosted for you
- Nightly backups
- *Custom Domain
* If you have another domain, we can map your faculty.sites address to your other domain if it is within UCI.EDU. We cannot do .org or .com URLs due to our authentication method. You may need to consult with your local computer support person for help. It does need to be a sub-domain or top level domain vs. a sub-directory. For example, johndoe.bio.uci.edu vs. bio.uci.edu/johndoe/.
- Limited to editing via the WYSIWYG toolbar (with some basic HTML allowed).
No programming access.
- No FTP access.
If you have a website created in Dreamweaver or another web development program, you will not be able to upload your HTML pages. All of your content (Posts and Pages) reside in a database. You can recreate the pages and copy and paste the content.
- All website contributors (authors, editors, etc.) must have a UCInetID to login.
- Limited to installed plugins.
Any additional functionality through other plugins would have to be evaluated and tested by OIT staff to see if it would benefit the entire system.
- Limited to installed themes.
Some themes are customizable. Styles (fonts, etc) are not editable unless you know CSS well. We do have a Custom CSS Manager plugin that allows you to override the themes styles using CSS.