Recall-Faculty and Chancellor’s Professor Emeritus
Ph.D. University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill
Environmental Psychology, Social Ecology, Team Science, Transdisciplinary Public Health
My research focuses on the study of people’s transactions with their social and physical environments—especially how they influence personal and public health. My research, classroom teaching, and graduate mentorship at UCI span the fields of social ecology, environmental psychology, urban planning, epidemiology, and public health. Some of my current work is in the ‘science of team science’ and investigates factors that affect the collaborative success of transdisciplinary research and training programs. Other research focuses on the health and behavioral impacts of environmental stressors like traffic congestion, crowding, and information overload; applications of environmental design research to urban planning; and the environmental psychology of the Internet, especially the ways that qualities of virtual life affect people’s behavior and well-being.
In addition to my research and teaching roles, I served as Director of the Social Ecology Program in 1988-92 and as Founding Dean of the School of Social Ecology at UCI from 1992-98. My faculty appointments in Social Ecology are in the Departments of Planning, Policy, and Design and Psychology and Social Behavior. I have courtesy appointments in the Program in Public Health, the Department of Epidemiology, the Program in Nursing Science, and am a member of UCI’s Institute for Clinical and Translational Science. I co-authored Behavior, Health, and Environmental Stress and co-edited the Handbook of Environmental Psychology; Environmental Simulation; and Promoting Human Wellness. A new book, Social Ecology in the Digital Age, was published by Academic Press in Fall 2017. Academic honors include the Career Award from the Environmental Design Research Association, UCI’s Lauds & Laurels Faculty Achievement Award, the Newman-Proshansky Career Award from the American Psychological Association’s Division of Environmental, Population, and Conservation Psychology, and the Science of Team Science Career Recognition Award. I served as scientific consultant to the National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences and as a member of NCI’s SciTS team between 2005-2011. I am currently a team science consultant for the National Academies Keck Futures Initiative (NAKFI) and co-author of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine’s report (2015) on Enhancing the Effectiveness of Team Science.
Web Links of Research Sites
- Social Ecology in the Digital Age: Solving Complex Problems in a Globalized World, Academic Press/Elsevier.
- National Academy of Sciences Report on Enhancing the Effectiveness of Team Science
- National Cancer Institute Team Science Toolkit
- National Academies Keck Futures Initiative
- Social Psychology Network Profile http://stokols.socialpsychology.org/
- Department of Psychology and Social Behavior http://socialecology.uci.edu/psb/faculty
- Department of Planning, Policy, and Design http://ppd.soceco.uci.edu/faculty
- Department of Epidemiology
- UCI Program in Public Health http://publichealth.uci.edu/ph_docs/faculty
- UCI Institute for Clinical and Translational Science
Course Web Links of Interest
- Environmental Psychology Course Winter 2016 (PSYBEH171S/PPD151/PH151)
- Social Ecology Graduate Seminar (SE200)
- Environmental Psychology Spring’12 (PSYBEH171S/PPD151/PH151) also available on iTunes U
- Strategies of Theory Development Seminar (SE261)