Distinguished Professor of Social Ecology, and Professor of Law, and Cognitive Science
Ph.D. Stanford University
2393 Social Ecology II
cognitive psychology, human memory, psychology and law
Elizabeth Loftus studies human memory. Her experiments reveal how memories can be changed by things that we are told. Facts, ideas, suggestions and other post-event information can modify our memories. The legal field, so reliant on memories, has been a significant application of the memory research. Loftus is also interested in psychology and law, more generally.
CLICK ON LINKS BELOW TO SEE or DOWNLOAD SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (if asked for password just click OK three times)
Profiles, Interviews, News Items….and misc.
- Read Nomination for Maddox Prize (in Skeptical Inquirer 2017)
- Read Profile in Nature Magazine (2013)
- Read about APF Gold Medal Award for Lifetime Achievement in Science (2013)
- Watch Ted Talk at TedGlobal 2013
- Read CNN profile: Life’s Work (2013)
- Read profile in Stanford Magazine (2012)
- Read The Memory Doctor in Slate by Will Saletan about the work of Elizabeth Loftus (2010) Winner of the AAAS Kavli Science Journalism Award for Online reporting.
- Listen to Audio Interview of Elizabeth Loftus conducted by National Academy
- Jane Doe Case – article by Tavris (2008)
- Garry & Hayne’s Book (and OLD PHOTO) on Elizabeth Loftus ‘s life, work, and more…..
- Read chapter on early days with Elizabeth Loftus written by Geoff Loftus (2007)
- Profile of Elizabeth Loftus in Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, (2005)
- Article in LA Weekly by S. Abramsky, (2004), p 32-35
- Article in London Times by K. Sabbagh (2004)
- Article on the research of Elizabeth Loftus in OCRegister (2002)
- William James Award & Acceptance Speech (2001)
- Elizabeth Loftus – University of Washington Website (with more articles)
Brief Biography Elizabeth Loftus – Brief Biography
Translations of E. Loftus work
- Czech: Loftus & Guyer, Who abused Jane Doe? (orig 2002; trans 2013)
- Latvian: Loftus & Guyer, Who abused Jane Doe?
- Slovak: Loftus & Guyer. Who Abused Jane Doe?
- Russian: Excerpt from “Make Believe Memories” (orig 2003; trans 2011)
- Polish: Characters, Psychology Today, 2008
- Finnish: Science & Spirit, 2004
- Portuguese: Scientific American article 1997
- Portuguese: Memorias Ficticias 2006
- ALSO: SEVERAL BOOKS translated into Asian languages
Foreign language articles about Loftus work
- German: Scientific American (2004)
- German: NZZ Folio (2001)
- French: Les Nouveaux Psys (2008)
- German: Psychologie Heute (2010)
- French: Quebec Science (2013)
- Arabic: Nature Profile (2013)
- Indonesian: OC Register Article (orig 2002, trans 2016)