Our lab is hiring for a new postdoctoral scholar. See description below.
The UCI BCI lab is actively recruiting for a post-doctoral scholar to join our research team in designing a fully implantable BCI system to help people with paralysis due to neurological disorders (e.g. spinal cord injury, stroke, etc.). We are seeking highly motivated individuals to start immediately on a new project which includes the following research activities and responsibilities:
- Undertaking neuro-electrophysiological experiments with patients undergoing ECoG electrode implantation, analysis of data collected
- Undertaking embedded system design and programming
- Interacting with and recruiting study patients coming from a variety of neurological conditions (epilepsy, SCI, stroke, etc.)
- Interacting with industry consultants to undertake industrial design, and interacting with Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regarding device regulations
- A variety of related multi-disciplinary tasks
- PhD or equivalent in biomedical engineering, electrical engineering, physics, neuroscience, computer science or related fields
- Experience with acquisition and analysis of EEG, ECoG, or local field potentials
- Experience in BCI or other neural prosthetics application
- Experience with neural electrical stimulation research
- High proficiency in Matlab and C/C++/C#
- Proficiency in embedded systems
- History of good human and patient interaction and good interpersonal skills
- Industrial experience in medical devices is preferred
This project is done in collaboration with local institutions, including University of Southern California (USC), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), and Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center. A significant amount of experimental and clinical research work will be performed offsite from UC Irvine, and hence car ownership and the ability to drive between sites is mandatory for this position. Interest in staying 4-5 years is preferred.
Interested candidates should submit a curriculum vitae, personal statement, and contact information for at least 2 references to Prof. An Do, MD (firstname.lastname@example.org).