Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology; J.D. Harvard Law School
Urban Planning and Public Policy
Land-use & environmental law, housing, transportation, state and local government
Summary of Research Interests
My scholarship addresses local governance and the regulation of the built environment, particularly as they relate to mobility and housing affordability. I also analyze the impact of changes in environmental laws and institutions of local governance on planning practice and metropolitan development patterns, as well as the ways that non-lawyers (particularly urban planners) understand and use legal materials.
- Marantz, Nicholas J. and Huixin Zheng. 2020. “State Affordable Housing Appeals Systems and Access to Opportunity: Evidence From the Northeastern United States,” Housing Policy Debate, DOI: 10.1080/10511482.2020.1712612
- Lewis, Paul G. and Nicholas J. Marantz. 2019. “What Planners Know: Using Surveys About Local Land Use Regulation to Understand Housing Development.” Journal of the American Planning Association. 85(4), 445-462. DOI: 10.1080/01944363.2019.1643253
- Marantz, Nicholas J. and Nicola Ulibarri. 2019. “The Tensions of Transparency in Urban and Environmental Planning.” Journal of Planning Education & Research. DOI: 10.1177/0739456X19827638
- Marantz, Nicholas J. and Huixin Zheng. 2019. “Exclusionary Zoning and the Limits of Judicial Impact.” Journal of Planning Education & Research. DOI: 10.1177/0739456X18814924
- Camacho, Alejandro E., Melissa Kelly, Nicholas J. Marantz, and Gabriel Weil. 2019. “Mitigating Climate Change Through Transportation and Land Use Policy.” Environmental Law Reporter. 49(5), 10473-10492.
- Marantz, Nicholas J. 2018. “Drift and Conversion in Metropolitan Governance: The Rise of California’s Redevelopment Agencies.” Journal of Urban Affairs. 40(7), 901-922. DOI: 10.1080/07352166.2017.1421434
Marantz, Nicholas J. and Harya S. Dillon. 2018. “Do State Affordable Housing Appeals Systems Backfire? A Natural Experiment.” Housing Policy Debate. 28(2), 267-284. DOI: 10.1080/10511482.2017.1362021
Marantz, Nicholas J. 2015. “What Do Community Benefits Agreements Deliver? Evidence From Los Angeles.” Journal of the American Planning Association. 81(4), 251-267. DOI: 10.1080/01944363.2015.1092093
- Fisher, Lynn M., and Nicholas J. Marantz. 2015. “Can State Law Combat Exclusionary Zoning? Evidence from Massachusetts.” Urban Studies 52(6), 1071-1089. DOI: 10.1177/0042098014534906
- Marantz, Nicholas J. 2012. “Review: China’s Pan-Pearl River Delta; Regional Cooperation and Development.” Journal of the American Planning Association 78(1), 111-112. DOI:10.1080/01944363.2011.644209
- Marantz, Nicholas J., and Eran Ben-Joseph. 2011. “The Business of Codes: Urban Design Regulation in an Entrepreneurial Society.” In Urban Design in the Real Estate Development Process, edited by Steve Tiesdell and David Adams. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.