- Yale AR, Nourse JL, Lee KR, Ahmed SN, Arulmoli J, Jiang AYL, McDonnell LP, Botten GA, Lee AP, Monuki ES, Demetriou M, Flanagan LA. Cell surface N-glycans influence electrophysiological properties and fate potential of neural stem cells. Stem Cell Reports 11(4):869-882. 2018 Oct 9.
- Arulmoli J, Wright HJ, Phan DT, Sheth U, Que RA, Botten GA, Keating M, Botvinick EL, Pathak MM, Zarembinski TI, Yanni DS, Razorenova OV, Hughes CC, Flanagan LA. Combination scaffolds of salmon fibrin, hyaluronic acid, and laminin for human neural stem cell and vascular tissue engineering. Acta Biomater. Epub ahead of print, 2016 Jul 27.
- Wright HJ, Arulmoli J, Motazedi M, Nelson LJ, Heinemann FS, Flanagan LA, Razorenova OV. CDCP1 cleavage is necessary for homodimerization-induced migration of triple-negative breast cancer. Oncogene. Epub ahead of print, 2016 Feb 15.
- Phan L, Kautz R, Arulmoli J, Kim IH, Le DT, Shenk MA, Pathak MM, Flanagan LA, Tombola F, Gorodetsky AA. Reflectin as a Material for Neural Stem Cell Growth. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 8(1):278-84, 2016 Jan 13.
- Arulmoli, J., M.M. Pathak, L.P. McDonnell, J.L. Nourse, F. Tombola, J.C. Earthman, L.A. Flanagan. Static stretch affects neural stem cell differentiation in an extracellular matrix-dependent manner. Scientific Reports, in press 2015.
**Featured Publication, Neural Cell News, 9.06, February 18, 2015
- Bonaventura, G., M.L. Barcellona, O. Golfetto, J.L. Nourse, L.A. Flanagan, E. Gratton. Laurdan monitors different lipid content in eukaryotic membranes during embryonic neural development. Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics 70(2): 785-794, 2014.
- Pathak, M.M., J.L. Nourse, T. Tran, J. Hwe, J. Arulmoli, D.T. Le, E. Bernardis, L.A. Flanagan, F. Tombola. Stretch-activated ion channel Piezo1 directs lineage choice in human neural stem cells. PNAS 111(45): 16148-16153, 2014.
- Simon, M.G., Y. Li, J. Arulmoli, L.P. McDonnell, A. Akil, J.L. Nourse, A.P. Lee*, L.A. Flanagan*. Increasing label-free stem cell sorting capacity to reach transplantation-scale throughput. Biomicrofluidics 8(6): 064106, 2014.*These two authors contributed equally to this work.
- Nourse, J.L., J.L. Prieto, A.R. Dickson, J. Lu, M.M. Pathak, F. Tombola, M. Demetriou, A.P. Lee, L.A. Flanagan. Membrane biophysics define neuron and astrocyte progenitors in the neural lineage. Stem Cells 32(3): 706-16, 2014. PMID24105912
**Featured Publication, Neural Cell News, 7.37, September 18, 2013
- Lu, J., C.C. Barrios, A.R. Dickson, J.L. Nourse, A.P. Lee, L.A. Flanagan. Advancing practical usage of microtechnology: a study of the functional consequences of dielectrophoresis on neural stem cells. Integrative Biology 4(10): 1223-36, 2012. PMID22892587
- Prieto, J.L., J. Lu, J.L. Nourse, L.A. Flanagan, A.P. Lee. Frequency discretization in dielectrophoretic assisted cell sorting arrays to isolate neural cells. Lab on a Chip 12(12): 2182-2189, 2012. PMID22460949
- Sharp, K.G., A.R. Dickson, S.A. Marchenko, K.M. Yee, P.N. Emery, I. Laidmäe, R. Uibo, E.S. Sawyer, O. Steward, L.A. Flanagan. Salmon fibrin treatment of spinal cord injury promotes functional recovery and density of serotonergic innervation. Experimental Neurology 235(1): 345-56, 2012, DOI: 10.1016/j.expneurol.2012.02.016, 2012. PMC3437931
- Stringari, C., J.L. Nourse, L.A. Flanagan, E. Gratton. Phasor fluorescence lifetime microscopy of free and protein-bound NADH reveals neural stem cell differentiation potential. PLoS ONE 7(11):e48014, 2012. PMC3489895
- Labeed, F.H., J. Lu, H.J. Mulhall, S.A. Marchenko, K.F. Hoettges, L.C. Estrada, A.P. Lee, M.P. Hughes, L.A. Flanagan. Biophysical characteristics reveal neural stem cell differentiation potential. PLoS ONE 6(9):e25458, 2011. PMC3184132
- Sharp, K.G., L.A. Flanagan, K.M. Yee, O. Steward. A re-assessment of a combinatorial treatment involving Schwann cell transplants and elevation of cyclic AMP on recovery of motor function following thoracic spinal cord injury in rats. Experimental Neurology 233(2): 625-44, 2011. PMID21195070
- Shepard, P.J., E-A. Choi, J. Lu, L.A. Flanagan, K.J. Hertel, Y. Shi. Complex and dynamic landscape of RNA polyadenylation revealed by PAS-Seq. RNA 17(4): 761-72, 2011. PMC3062186
- Labeed, F.H., Lu, J., Marchenko, S.A., Hughes, M.P., Monuki, E.S., Lee, A.P., Flanagan, L.A.. “A novel biomarker for human neural stem cell differentiation potential.” In preparation , 2010
- Lu, J., Do, M., Nourse, J.L., Hughes, M.P., Lee, A.P., Flanagan L.A., Label free monitoring of stem cell differentiation using microfluidic dielectrophoresis trapping device. Sibmitted to Annals of Biomedical Engineering. (Invited manuscript in UC bioengineering special issue)
- Huang, P.C., Lu, J. , Seon, H.Y., Lee, A.P., Flanagan, L.A., Kim, H.Y., Putnam, A.J., Jeon, N.L. “Engineering microscale cellular niches for three-dimensional multicellular co-cultures.” Lab Chip , 9(12):1740-8, 2009.
- Wang, L., Lu, J. , Marchenko, S.A., Monuki, E.S., Flanagan, L.A., Lee A.P., “Dual frequency dielectrophoresis with interdigitated sidewall electrodes for microfluidic flow-through separation of beads and cells.” Electrophoresis 30, 1–10, 2009.
- Flanagan, L.A.*, J. Lu*, L. Wang, S.A. Marchenko, N. Jeon, A.P. Lee, E.S. Monuki. “Unique dielectric properties distinguish stem cells and their differentiated progeny.” Stem Cells 26(3): 656-665, 2008. *These two authors contributed equally to this work.
- Mangale, V.S., K.E. Hirokawa, P.R.V. Satyaki, N. Gokulchandran, S. Chickbire, L. Subramanian, A.S. Shetty, B. Martynoga, J. Paul, M.V. Mai, Y. Li, L.A. Flanagan, S. Tole, and E.S. Monuki. “Lhx2 selector activity specifies cortical identity and suppresses hippocampal organizer fate.” Science 319:304, 2008.
- Wang, L., L.A. Flanagan, N. Jeon, E.S. Monuki, and A.P. Lee. “Dielectrophoresis switching with vertical sidewall electrodes for microfluidic flow cytometry.” Lab Chip 7(9): 1114-1120, 2007.
- Wang, L., L.A. Flanagan, and A.P. Lee. “Side-wall vertical electrodes for lateral field microfluidic applications.” J. Microelectromechanical Systems 16(2): 454-461, 2007.
- Ju, Y., P.A. Janmey, M.E. McCormick, E.S. Sawyer, and L.A. Flanagan. “Enhanced neurite growth from mammalian neurons in three-dimensional salmon fibrin gels.” Biomaterials 28: 2097-2108, 2007.
- Flanagan, L.A., L.M. Rebaza, S. Derzic, P.H. Schwartz, and E.S. Monuki. “Regulation of human neural precursor cells by laminin and integrins.” J. Neurosci. Res. 83(5): 845-856, 2006.
- Georges, P.C., M. McCormick, L.A. Flanagan, Y. Ju, E.S. Sawyer, P.A. Janmey. “Tuning the elasticity of biopolymer gels for optimal wound healing.” Materials Research Society Proceedings, v. 897E, 2006.
- Chung, B.*, L.A. Flanagan*, S. Rhee, P.H. Schwartz, A.P. Lee, E.S. Monuki, and N. Jeon. “Human neural stem cell growth and differentiation in a gradient-generating microfluidic device.” Lab on a Chip 5(4): 401-406, 2005. *These two authors contributed equally to this work.
- Yeung, T., P.C. Georges, L.A. Flanagan, B. Marg, M. Ortiz, M. Funaki, N. Zahir, W. Ming, V. Weaver, and P.A. Janmey. “Effects of substrate stiffness on cell morphology, cytoskeletal structure, and adhesion.”Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton” 60(1): 24-34, 2005.
- Flanagan, L.A., Y. Ju, B. Marg, M. Osterfield, and P.A. Janmey. “Neurite branching on deformable substrates.” Neuroreport 13(18): 2411-5, 2002.
- Shea, T.B. and L.A. Flanagan. “Kinesin, dynein and neurofilament transport.” Trends Neurosci. 24(11): 644-8, 2001.
- Flanagan, L.A., J. Chou, H. Falet, R. Neujahr, J.H. Hartwig, and T.P. Stossel. “Filamin A, the Arp2/3 complex, and the morphology and function of cortical actin filaments in human melanoma cells.”J. Cell Biol. 155(4): 511-8, 2001.
- Feng, Y., E.C. Olson, P.T. Stukenberg, L.A. Flanagan, M.W. Kirschner, and C.A. Walsh. “LIS1 regulates CNS lamination by interacting with mNudE, a central component of the centrosome.” Neuron 28: 665–679, 2000.
- Lin, P.T., J.G. Gleeson, J. Corbo, L.A. Flanagan, C.A. Walsh. “DCAMKL1 encodes a protein kinase with homology to doublecortin that regulates microtubule polymerization.” J. Neurosci. 20(24): 9152-9161, 2000.
- Shah, J.V., L.A. Flanagan, P.A. Janmey, and J.-F. Leterrier. “Bidirectional translocation of neurofilaments along microtubules mediated in part by dynein/dynactin.”Mol. Biol. Cell” 11(10): 3495-3508, 2000.
- Azuma, T., K. Koths, L. Flanagan, D. Kwiatkowski. “Gelsolin in complex with phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate inhibits caspase-3 and -9 to retard apoptotic progression.” J. Biol. Chem. 275(6): 3761-3766, 2000.
- Janmey, P.A., W. Xian, and L.A. Flanagan. “Controlling cytoskeleton structure by phosphoinositide-protein interactions: Phosphoinositide binding protein domains and effects of lipid packing.” Chemistry and Physics of Lipids 101: 93-107, 1999.
- Gleeson, J.G., P.T. Lin, L.A. Flanagan, and C.A. Walsh. “Doublecortin is a microtubule-associated protein and is expressed widely by migrating neurons.”Neuron 23: 257-271, 1999.
- Shah, J.V., L.A. Flanagan, D. Bahk, and P.A. Janmey. Reptation of microtubules in F-actin networks: effects of filament stiffness and network topology on reptation dynamics. Material properties of the cell. Proc. of the 1997 Mat. Res. Soc. 489: 27-31, 1998.
- Flanagan, L.A., C.C. Cunningham, J. Chen, G.D. Prestwich, K.S. Kosik, and P.A. Janmey. “The structure of divalent cation-induced aggregates of PIP2 and their alteration by gelsolin and tau.”Biophys. J. 73: 1440-1447, 1997.
- Cunningham, C.C., N. Leclerc, L.A. Flanagan, M. Lu, P.A. Janmey, and K.S. Kosik. “Microtubule-associated protein 2c reorganizes both microtubules and microfilaments into distinct cytological structures in an actin-binding protein-280-deficient melanoma cell line.” J. Cell Biol. 136(4): 845-857, 1997.
- Iwai, A., E. Masliah, M. Yoshimoto, N. Ge, L. Flanagan, H.A.R. de Silva, A. Kittel, and T. Saitoh. “The precursor protein of non-Ab component of Alzheimer’s disease amyloid (NACP) is a presynaptic protein of the central nervous system.” Neuron 14: 467-475, 1995.
- Saitoh, T., E. Masliah, L. Baum, M. Sundsmo, L. Flanagan, R. Vikramkumar, and M.M.B. Kay. “Degradation of proteins in the membrane-cytoskeleton complex in Alzheimer’s disease. Might amyloidogenic APP processing be just the tip of the iceberg.”Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 674: 180-192, 1992.
- Janmey, P.A., L.A. Flanagan, K.S. Kosik, T. Bissell, C.C. Cunningham. “Mechanical properties of cytoskeletal networks: role of actin filament crosslinking in cell function. In Biological Mechanisms of Tooth Eruption, Resorption and Replacement by Implants.” Z. Davidovitch and J. Mah, eds. 1998.
- Nourse, J.L., B. Ziaeian, T. Palmer, P.H. Schwartz, L.A. Flanagan. Immunocytochemical analysis of human stem cells. In Human Stem Cell Manual: A Laboratory Guide, 2nd edition. J.F. Loring and S.E. Peterson, eds. Elsevier, 2012.
- Flanagan, L.A., B. Ziaeian, T. Palmer, and P.H. Schwartz. Immunocytochemical analysis of stem cells. In Human Stem Cell Manual: A Laboratory Guide. J.F. Loring, R.W. Wesselschmidt, and P.H. Schwartz, eds. Elsevier/Cell Press, 2007.
- Flanagan, L.A. and P.A. Janmey. Regulation of cytoskeletal proteins by inositol lipids. In Frontiers in Molecular Biology: Biology of Phosphoinositides. S. Cockcroft, ed. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2000.